Research Projects and Grants
The main research interests of my group are in the Applied Electromagnetics area, which includes Antenna Theory & Design, Passive Microwave Devices, and Novel Electromagnetics Materials. More specifically these research interests include the following: millimeter wave antennas, active phased array antennas, massive MIMO antennas, 5G communication antennas, antennas for IoT, GPS, handheld and portable devices, reconfigurable and frequency agile antennas, null-steering antennas, feeds for reflector antennas, waveguide horns and polarizers, miniaturized antennas for body wearable applications, 3D printed antennas, frequency selective surfaces, metasurfaces, and microwave passive components such as phase shifters, power dividers and beam forming networks using 5G silicon RFICs. Our antenna designs find applications in Handheld and Portable devices, Wireless Communications, Satellite Communications, Radar Applications, Biomedical Imaging, RFIDs, and so more.
- NIWC (Naval Information Warfare Center-Pacific), “Design and Test Supp Micro SATCOM”, July 20, 2023 to July 19, 2024.
- The National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA), "5G Array for Lunar Relay Operations - Flight TEST (FIGARO-FT)”, July 1, 2022 to Dec 31, 2024.
- The Office of Naval Research (ONR), “Agile Antenna for Troposcatter Communications”, Feb 16, 2021 to May 31, 2023.
- The National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA), STMD Small Spacecraft Technology Program, “Flat Panel Phased Array Antennas with Two Simultaneous Steerable Beams utilizing 5G Ka-Band Silicon RFICs”, Jul 1, 2020 to Jun 30, 2022.
- Altius-Space Machines, Air Force Researh Laboratory (AFRL), STTR Phase I, "Sidelobe Interline Modification Pak for I/O Tel", Sept 26, 2022 to Feb 28, 2023.
- First RF Corporation, US Armay, STTR Phase I, "Gun-hardened, Hypersonic-capable RF Components for Smart Munitions", Jul 2022 to Dec 2022.
- Fuse Integration Inc., Air Force Research Laboratory (AFRL), STTR Phase II, “Resilient Directional Mesh Enhanced Tactical Airborne Networks”, Aug 2019 to Jul 2021.
- NIWC (Naval Information Warfare Center-Pacific), “Design and Development of Ka-/Ku-band Phased Array Antennas”, Mar 2020 to Sept 2020.
- SPAWAR (DOD Space and Naval Warfare Systems Command), “Design and Development of Ku-band Phased Array Antenna Network Using Heat Sink Radiator and Reflector Element for Beam Steering Applications”, Sept 2018 to Sept 2019.
- SPAWAR (DOD Space and Naval Warfare Systems Command), “X-Band Active Aperture Design and Measurement”, Dec 2017 to Dec 2018.
- Fuse Integration Inc., Air Force Research Lab, STTR Phase I, “Resilient Directional Mesh Enhanced Tactical Airborne Networks”, Dec 2017 to Aug 2018.
- SpaceMicro Inc., NAVAIR (DoD), SBIR Phase I, “Compact, Broadband, Efficient and High Power Transmit Antenna for Airborne Electronic Attack Platforms”, Jun 1, 2017 to May 31, 2018.
- Office of Naval Research (ONR), DURIP 16, “Quasi-Far-Field System Upgrade for Millimeter Wave (mmWave) Frequency Expansion of the Existing Antenna Measurement Facility”, Jul 2016 to Mar 2018.
- Office of Naval Research (ONR), “Development of W-Band Millimeter-Wave Links for Nanosat Applications”, Jan 16, 2016 to Dec 2018.
- Broadcom Inc., “Miniaturized dual band CP antenna covering L5 and L1 frequencies for GPS/GNSS receive applications”, Jun 2016 to Aug 2016.
- SpaceMicro Inc., Missile Defense Agency, SBIR Phase I, “Innovative Antenna Arrays Enabling Continuous Interceptor Communications”, Dec 23, 2015 to Oct 20, 2016.
- President Leadership Fund Award, San Diego State University, "Design and Development of THz Antennas for Wireless Communications", Jun 2014 to May 2015.
- Knuckledragger Design Inc., “Multiband Antenna Design”, Dec 2013 to Mar 2014.
- SpaceMicro Inc., SPAWAR, SBIR Phase II program, “High Performance UHF Antenna for Nanosatellites”, Aug 2012 to Jul 2013.
- NextGen Aeronautics, DARPA SBIR, Phase II program, “Platform Independent Omni-Directional Antennas (IODA “YODA”)”, Apr 2011 to Sept 2013.
- NextGen Aeronautics, Navy STTR, Phase I program, “Wideband Metamaterial Antennas Integrated into Composite Structures”, from Aug 2010 to Mar 2011.
- SpaceMicro Inc., SPAWAR, SBIR Phase I program, “High Performance UHF Antenna for Nano-Satellites”, Sept 2010 to Jan 2011.
- National Science Foundation (NSF), CAREER Award, “Novel Reconfigurable Aperture Antennas and Arrays for Compact Multifunctional Antenna Solutions”, from Aug 2009 to Jul 2014.
- NextGen Aeronautics, DARPA SBIR, Phase I program, “Platform Independent Omni-Directional Antennas (IODA “YODA”)”, from Feb 2009 to Oct 2009.